Vegan Chocolate Banana Donuts
A perfect chocolate treat suitable for any occasion.
When I was vegetarian, donuts were the one thing that I couldn’t live without. I was bit gutted when I returned home from the US and I couldn’t find any vegan friendly donuts on island. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own. Not only is it cheaper and super fun to do but I can also control the quality and quantity of the ingredients added. Majority of the time when I bake, I do not use refined sugar. I try to harvest sugar from fresh fruit instead. That’s where the banana comes in! For the donuts itself no refined sugar was added. However, to get that sticky consistency for the icing I decided to add some powdered sugar which gave the icing a nice kick! I purchased my donut tray at a local home store (Kirk’s Home center for those of you living in Cayman).
Invite the ladies over for girls night and try this reciepe. It’s a great way to get everyone involved. Hopefully your kitchen won’t be covered in chocolate like mine!
For the donuts: 2 bananas 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 vegan butter 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/4 cup cocoa powder
For the frosting: 1/4 cup cocoa powder 2 tsp unsweetened non-dairy milk 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray donut tray if not nonstick.
- Combine all dry ingredients together; flour, baking powder, cocoa powder. In separate bowl add wet ingredients; vegan butter, milk, vanilla extract, bananas and use hand blender to blend smoothly.
- Add bowl of wet ingredient to dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Distribute dough amount donut molds in tray. I found the best way to do this was by scooping all of the dough and placing it into a ziplock bag. Seal the zip lock bag and cut a little hole in the bottom corner of the bag. Then you can freely pipe the dough into each mold neatly.
- Place tray in oven and bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- While the donuts are in the oven, in a small bowl add the cocoa powder, sugar and non-dairy milk for the icing. Whisk together vigorously until you reach a thick consistency.
- Remove donuts from oven and allow them to cool.
- Once donuts are cool dip them into icing bowl
Serving Size: 12
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories: 168 kcal